Forum for members of The Flaming Cart

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joyful1y

PostSubject: The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric   Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:20 am

Nakoma couldn’t sleep. She hadn’t slept in days. Despite the weight that threatened to pull her into oblivion, strengthened by the burdens of her most distant past and those evenings not long prior, she could not find rest. It was as if the cold made knives that would stab at her sides and her legs and her neck just as she was about to drift off. She hated the cold. Certainly she had experienced her fair share of winters, but it was hardly Redmoot. For the wood elf, this was unseasonably frigid. They were in a castle made of ice, for goodness sake. This was a magic that she could certainly do without.

Still, she dared not venture outside of her room. At least here, when she was alone, she was not overwhelmed by the magnitude of this place. At least here, she wouldn’t feel so small. And so, she sat on her bed, knees drawn up to her chest, arms wrapped tightly around her legs, and she waited for the morning. Her shadowed violet eyes yearned out the open window for any sign of comfort, but what she was given was a pale white sliver of moon, half blanketed by thin silver clouds. Sitting back slightly, Nakoma brought a hand to the chain around her neck. The cold, silver symbol of a crescent moon was like ice to her touch. Sehanine, she thought, surprised at the bitterness that came with the name. It had once brought her such comfort. She gripped the pendant tightly in a fist, and in silence demanded What have I done wrong?

She tore her eyes away from the window, closing them tightly. Her jaw was clenched so tightly that it ached. Why does this always happen to me?

When morning finally arrived, Nakoma left to check on Benjem, as she had made a habit of doing in the past few days. By now, most of their party had branched off, yet she still remained. She felt like a leaf, dried up and severed from its tree, trying desperately to reach solid ground, yet cursed to drift in a chilly autumn wind. She had hardly taken three steps from her room before she nearly ran into a young woman carrying a tray with some parcels for breakfast, headed in the same direction. They shared pleasantries, and the young woman explained that she was simply bringing the injured man some food. She was under the impression he was still too weak to fetch his own breakfast. Sheepishly, the girl looked away from Nakoma, down at her tray. “It’s the least I can do,” she added quietly. “You and your friends… Well, I really think you saved us. We all do.” A warm smile greeted Nakoma’s lips. The girl went on. “If you hadn’t done something… Well, my brother is in our army, you see, and with both the Boros and the Broken Spine Tribe heading our way, I was just… I was so frightened for him.” The girl stopped, her grip tightening on the tray.

Gently, the elf rested a hand upon her shoulder. “Thank you, Deliora. I’m honored to have earned the favor of such a beautiful young lady.” The serving girl looked up to her as if to offer thanks, but Nakoma dismissed it with a nod. “Come on, he is probably awake by now.”

As they started moving again, Nakoma thought of how strange it was that fate brought them here. One quest for a little brother had likely saved countless lives. It was both amazing and terrifying how their actions could inadvertently affect so many people. Ironic, she thought. The man who cared so little about anyone else is the reason we even found our way here.

Soon enough, they reached his room. She knocked, still wary of speaking his name. Who even knew what alias he wanted to live under next? Certainly she hoped he’d finally adopt his real name, but in the meantime, she opted to leave out a title all together. “Hey, are you awake?” A moment passed. There was nothing. She knocked again, her smile fading. “If you don’t say anything, I’ll open the door! Your breakfast is getting cold.” She put a hand on the knob, opening the door just a crack. “Hello?” She asked, not wanting to surprise him in case he had still been asleep. But then she saw it. The rope.

She swung the door open and nearly pushed Deliora to the side walking into the room. There was a rope tied to the bedpost, still dangling out the open window. She stood for a moment, unaware of her open mouth until a voice behind her made her jump. “Miss Nakoma?” The elf turned her head sharply, looking at the girl as she set the tray on a small table. “Where… Where did he go?”

Nakoma didn’t answer. She could feel her heart sink as she turned back toward the open window. Wordlessly, she placed a hand on its frame, her cheerless eyes staring blankly past the castle courtyard. “Benjem…” She breathed, hardly audible. “Not you, too.”

For the remainder of the day, Nakoma hardly spoke to anyone, not that she had been an entirely social butterfly before. Ever since they returned to the castle, save for the occasional word to Kana or brief exchange with a passing stranger, Nakoma spent most of her time in silence. She liked to spend her time outside, enjoying the sunlight for the brief times when it made its appearance. On the whole, however, she was entirely miserable. After this not so shocking (though still notably upsetting) turn of events, the redhead spent most of her time trying to avoid the well-meaning though unwelcome eyes of the psion Kana. The girl had been a perfect friend to the elf, but this was a time when all Nakoma wanted was to be alone, to reflect, but Kana seemed to know better than to allow her to do such a thing. Nakoma cursed herself for being so obviously distraught. More than sixty years of practice and she was still a terrible liar.

Evening fell, and Nakoma found herself wandering town. It was getting even colder as the moon rose higher, and it wasn’t long before Nakoma found herself wandering into the relative warmth of a friendly looking pub. Once inside, she was greeted with the familiar smell of alcohol and the sound of murmuring, laughter, and friendly conversation. She took a seat at the bar and set some money down, and quickly had a drink in her hand. As she savored the familiar burn down the back of her throat, Nakoma closed her eyes, if only for a moment. She decided that tonight was the night she would forget about her sorrows. Tonight, she could wash it all away.

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
Life is series of mysteries whose secrets are veiled by the Luminous Cloud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://foofallsdown.webs.com
Kana

PostSubject: Re: The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric   Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:47 am

Kana had no need to use her psionic powers to tell how distraught Nakoma was. Though she had seemed downcast at Wild's departure, she seemed to... break... upon seeing that Benjem was gone as well. Though the elf seemed to seek solitude, Kana felt uneasy leaving her alone and so kept her company as much as possible.

When night fell and Nakoma disappeared and didn't return, Kana asked everyone who had seen her where she had gone, only to receive the same answer: that Nakoma had gone into town and had yet to return. Remembering that Nakoma seemed to seek alcohol for solace, she set out to find the redheaded elf.

After searching the nearest pubs with no luck, Kana walked into The Flaming Horseman, a small tacky pub that held few people, hoping that she would be able to end her search without further disturbing the townspeople with her appearance and severity. Of course, it was hard to miss the scarlet of Nakoma's hair as soon as she walked in. Relieved that her friend was safe after all, Kana quietly took a seat next to the elf and tapped her shoulder.

"Nakoma." Upon calling her name, Kana had no idea what to say to make her friend feel any better. Despite now being aware of the thought processes of both Benjem and Krisom, she couldn't help but feel the bitterness rise through her for causing so much pain for the (now thoroughly inebriated) cleric next to her.

However, what was done was done, and there was nothing left to do other than take control of the pieces of themselves that remained and pull themselves together. And it seemed like Nakoma's current drunkenness was doing nothing of the sort for Nakoma.

'Then again,' Kana mused. 'I have no experience with alcohol and do not know of its effects. Perhaps it would be wisest to come to a conclusion after speaking with Nakoma.'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joyful1y

PostSubject: Re: The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric   Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:30 pm

An effervescent sort of laughter bubbled up from the tap on her shoulder. Nakoma had her arms crossed on the bar, her head resting on her arms, face down. There was a half-empty pint to one side, though other than that there was no sign of how much she had been drinking. From the way the bartender glanced at her cup while he wiped a few dishes down, it seemed as though that half empty cup could not testify to the amount that she had been drinking. Still not lifting her head, Nakoma finally spat out as eloquent a greeting to her dear friend as she could manage.

“Well, shit!

As if there had still been a few in the dive bar who hadn’t been watching the unusual pair, the attention was certainly now all theirs. This pub was not well frequented by visitors. It was older, run down, and seemed to be the type that got its business from a handful of regulars. It was an unusual night when a girl with hair like fire sat down at the bar, joined later in the night by a young lady with vibrant purple skin. They didn’t look so much like adventurers as much as a sideshow act, especially in a pub populated mostly with humans.

Nakoma looked up, oblivious to how the other customers lost their subtlety in their stares. She continued in her one sided conversation, her face flushed, her hand finding the grip of her massive mug. “See, I was tryna stay away from you Kana cuz you know what you would say to me you’d tell me that I shouldn’t drink. Oh well!” As if to prove a point, she took a gulp from the mug in her hand, little trails of the liquid falling from her lips, dripping off her chin. With an over exaggerated ‘ahh’, she slammed the near-empty mug down on the counter. “Guess ya found me!” She admitted, turning away from the psion, waving her free hand at the man behind the counter. “Hey! Hey Wally! Waltz. Walls. C’mere.”

The man appeared human, probably in his early thirties. With a patient and somewhat amused smile, he stood across from the elf. “Yes?”

“Walter. Wall-to-wall.”

“It’s Waltumal, Nakoma.”

“Waltumal Nakoma? My name’s Nakoma!” He only sighed with a smile. Her eyes lighting up, Nakoma began to laugh, a little too loudly. “Oh! You meant- ahahaha I’m sorry!”

He offered a laugh in response, though he was wary of the eyes of his patrons. “Can I help you with something, sweetheart?”

“Yeah, my friend here needs something to drink and me too.”

“Is that so?” He turned his attention to Kana, immediately struck by her appearance. He’d never seen someone with purple skin, and her pale white eyes were haunting. He wasn’t sure if he should be impressed or terrified. “Can I get you something, miss?”

Back to top Go down
Kana

PostSubject: Re: The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric   Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:48 am

Kana sighed softly, looking from Nakoma to Waltumal and back again. "No, I..." A distant memory of someone - she couldn't quite tell who - telling her that it was rude to sit in a tavern without ordering punctuated her thoughts. "Actually, I will have a glass of whatever beverage my friend had." The bartender nodded and readied their drinks.

Turning her full attention to Nakoma, Kana asked, "How much have you had to drink?" Just as the words left her mouth, she felt the eyes and ears of every person in the bar focus in on her and her friend. As tempted as she was to reprimand them for eavesdropping, she was also acutely aware that their unintended audience was predominantly human and had most likely never seen a deva before, much less a deva traveling with a red-haired elf.

Once Waltumal gave them their order, Kana took a cautious sip. Whatever it was, it tasted bitter and felt hot running down her throat. 'Why is this something Nakoma seeks out so often?' She looked at the elf, concerned that her current state would lead to more destructive decisions than merely calling too much attention to herself and mistaking her own name for another person's surname.

"Talk to me, please, Nakoma. What bothers you so?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joyful1y

PostSubject: Re: The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric   Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:28 am

“I’ll tell ya how much I’ve had to drink I’ve had not enough that’s how much I’ve had.” Nakoma looked at her now full cup, though there was a hesitation in her eyes now. Seeing Kana, while it certainly wouldn’t stop her from drinking, reminded her of the reason she was here in the first place. It cast a shadow over her drunken stupor.

“You want to know what bothers me? Well let me tell you that I’ll tell you I’m a cleric, Kana. D’you even knowhat that means?” She leaned forward to her and inspected Kana’s eyes as if she’d find the answer there, as if this was a very serious and difficult question, requiring detailed philosophical explanation. “It meansI’m s’posed to be a healer, y’know? I gotta heal people and make sure they’re okay and make them better. And y’knowhat? I think maybe I couldda done that if maybe everone would have just stayed around, but no everone’s gotta go n’ do things n’ follow th-herizons n’ everything n’ Benjems gotta climb outta windows like some homeless spider or something and you know what, screw that guy in perticular.” She took another gulp as if her drink was an extra punctuation mark signifying just how important that last sentence (if you could call it that) was. She sighed a satisfactory 'ah', though her lips were downcast in a frown. She muttered "Gods help that poor bastard" under her breath, barely intelligible from the alcohol on her tongue.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric   

Back to top Go down

The Misadventures of the Psion and Cleric
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1