HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Roleplaying Etiquette

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hatticus Doyle
Admin

PostSubject: Roleplaying Etiquette    Sat May 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Following these guidelines will help this site run smoothly and minimize unnecessary arguments.

When roleplaying, there are some things you want to avoid.

Powerplaying: this is when you control a character or situation that is outside of your control. For example, a player cannot control another player's PC.

This is not okay:

Grayg attacks Arva. He stabs him in the face, killing him instantly.

This is better:

Grayg draws his dagger, thrusting it towards Arva's face.

The second example allows other PCs to respond. For example, it's very likely that someone in the party would see this action and prevent Grayg from attacking Arva. Also, if Grayg does make this attack, Arva could dodge, and he could survive. (When writing for fights, especially between PCs, make sure you discuss the outcome OOC(out of character) so that when you are writing, no one ends up angry or disappointed.)

Godmodding: this is when your character is unrealistically perfect. For example, a character cannot constantly be throwing themselves into dangerous situations without ever getting hurt. This would be like Ply getting stabbed in the face, pulling out the knife and saying 'I'm fine.' It's not realistic and it's not fair to the other players. Again, when rping, it's important to determine outcomes of situations like this ahead of time so every player is given fair treatment both in and out of the context of the story.

Mary Sue/Gary Stu: These characters are just obnoxiously perfect. Basically, don't create a character that is flawless. It's just irritating. I mean this won't really be an issue since everyone already has established characters, all of which have a lot of depth.

Anti-Mary/Gary: Similar to above, except these characters are obnoxiously imperfect. It's important to have flaws, and negative characters can be really awesome, but be careful. It's difficult to write with a PC who has a constant 'woe is me' attitude. Again, Mary/Garys are very flat, two-dimensional characters, and the characters in The Flaming Cart are already very established, so this won't be an issue.

Point-of-view: I mentioned this in a different thread, but I thought I'd bring it up more formally. This is of course a personal preference, so take this advice with a grain of salt. I prefer rps written from a 3rd-person-limited perspective rather than 1st-person. I find that stories are just easier to follow this way. Still, some people find it easier to write for a character using first person ('I walk into the tavern' rather than 'He walks into the tavern'). This is TOTALLY acceptable. If this is what you are most comfortable with, please don't hesitate to write in this style.

I'll add more terms to this thread as I remember them/they become relevant.

If you have any suggestions/questions, please post them below.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://basements-and-lizards.tumblr.com
joyful1y

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Etiquette    Sun May 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Posting Order:

When writing in an rp, it can get confusing as to whose 'turn' it is. I find it easiest to just have a posting order that starts on a first-come first-served sort of deal (Joe posts intro, Jane replies, then Tom, then Gary, and for the rest of the story the order is Joe-Jane-Tom-Gary unless a circumstance arises when it makes sense to change it).

Obviously post-order can be different and can be determined between the individuals in their rp, and it really only applies when there are more than two people writing together. This just makes it so no one or two individuals are dominating the entire rp. (We wouldn't want it to go Joe-Jane-Joe-Jane-Tom-Jane-Tom-Joe-Gary-Joe, because then Gary hardly gets anything development, where Joe and Jane dominate the narrative.) In some circumstances it makes sense for a fraction of the characters to write more frequently than the rest, but taking turns is often just an easy way to make it fair, even if it means occasionally waiting for someone to actually take their turn.

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
Life is series of mysteries whose secrets are veiled by the Luminous Cloud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://foofallsdown.webs.com

Roleplaying Etiquette
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1